The Triumphal Entry
by Graeme Young - [printer version]
When Jesus rode into Jerusalem (see Matthew 21:1-17), it was a wonderful time of Family Worship - a large gathering of all ages having a great time with Jesus. When organising Family Services (or all-age worship times) you could apply the same principles that helped to make Jesus' triumphant entry to Jerusalem a special occasion.
1. It began with the 'organisers' hearing from Jesus
2. There was an appropriate biblical foundation for everything in the programme.
3. The 'worship leaders' had prepared so that everything that was needed was there, and then they led by example.
4. There was opportunity for a variety of active participation by everyone there
5. The Word of God was shared concisely and in ways relevant for the situation
6. The focus of everything was clearly on Jesus and led others around to ask about him
7. Things which were not appropriate for the occasion were shifted out of the way
8. There was time for prayer, and for joyful expressions from people of many different backgrounds
9. Opportunity was given for those in need to be ministered to
10. Children as part of the congregation shared the experience of Jesus being with his people and they were actively involved
11.The contribution of the children was given it's true value
This article is taken from the introduction to the songbook for Family Worship 2 - With One Voice and may be reproduced as long as the author and source is acknowledged. www.familyworship.org.uk